British scientists warn that nail polish is not only useful thing, but also is extremely dangerous. The author of the research explains that it contains toxic substances which have a different negative impact on human body. In particular, should be drawn attention to formaldehyde, dibutyl phthalate and toluene.
Formaldehyde is used as a preservative and may provoke developing of cancerous tumors, disorders of the central nervous system, asthma, dermatitis, infertility.
Dibutyl phthalate is a plasticizer through which nail polish gains elasticity and strength. According to the results of previous studies, this substance has an impact on hormonal background, particularly on steroid production.
Toluene is used as a solvent allowing applying a nail polish on nails evenly. Toluene intoxication may cause disorder of the central nervous system up to irreversible changes, as well as pathologies of hematopoiesis and reproductive organs.
Worth noting that beauty salon workers are posed to the greatest hazard by these chemicals. The possibility of intoxication is especially high if the room is not ventilated properly.
We would also like to recall that many manufacturers of nail polish refused to use these substances and replaced them with less toxic analogue.